Southern Miss loses fourth straight to UTEP, 73-44

Southern Miss lost another road matchup Thursday night at Don Haskins Center, falling 73-44 to UTEP.

Southern Miss stayed within reach early on, but the Miners went on an 18-5 run in the final three minutes of the half to take a 36-15 lead into the break. Southern Miss did score the first five points of the second half, but to avail. UTEP got its lead back to 20-plus points and never looked back, giving Southern Miss it’s fourth straight loss.

Tyree Griffin led the Golden Eagles with his eighth 20-point performance this season. Cortez Edwards finished with 10 rebounds and 9 points, one point short of his sixth double-double this year. It was Edwards ninth double-digit rebounding game in his time at Southern Miss.

“We shot 15 three-pointers in the first half, and that’s not us,” head coach Doc Sadler said. “You’re going to make and miss some shots, so you need to play defense. With eight minutes to go tonight, we were down 16-10, and the game took off and we couldn’t get back in transition. You shoot three-pointers and they get long rebounds out of them.”

Southern Miss, who now falls to 13-17 overall, will hold its Senior Day on Saturday against LA Tech. Being the only senior on the roster, D’Angelo Richardson will be the Golden Eagles sole honoree. Tipoff is set for 4:30 p.m.