Southern Miss track and field starts outdoor season

Courtesy Photo
Women’s Track 3/18/17

Southern Miss opened the outdoor season with eight event winners at the Jaguar Invitational hosted by South Alabama.

“We opened the season with some pretty good marks, so watching our athletes improve as the season goes will be a lot of fun,” Head Coach Jon Stuart said.

In the men’s 100m dash, Cra’Vorkian Carson finished in second running 10.32. and Chedlin Sagesse ran 6.78 finishing fifth, respectively. In the 200m dash, Lorenzon Burton ran 21.39 to finish in fifth place. In the men’s 400m dash Cameron Cox finished ninth running a 50.31. Kacey Spinks won the men’s 400m hurdles with a time of 55.12 and Dexter Molden ran 57.67 to finish sixth.

Devonta Brassell finished in second in the men’s triple jump with a jump of 14.24m.

In the men’s 4X100 relay, Southern Miss won running a time of 39.85 and was notably the only team to run sub 40.

In the women’s short distance, Keiyana Gaskin won the 100m dash with a time of 11.65 and Rikianne Patterson ran 11.83 to finish in second place. Chanelle Ricketts won the 200m dash and Rian Robinson finished in third with times of 23.86 and 24.53. In the 400m dash, Aireanna Taylor ran 59.17 and 55.45 to eighth, respectively. In the women’s 400m hurdles Talia Thompson and Brooklyn Polk finished second and third with times of 1:03 and 1:04.

In relays, the women’s 4X100 team ran 45:95 and placed second being just edged out by conference opponent the University of Alabama at Birmingham who won with a time of 45.61.

In the 110m hurdles, sophomore Caleb Parker won the event with a time of 14.09. Christian Strong and Keionis Spears ran 15.00 and 15.73 finishing fourth and seventh, respectively. Parker doubled in the high jump and took second place with a jump of 2.16m.

In the women’s high jump, sophomore Jamari Drake took third place with a jump of 1.74m.

The women’s distance team was led by a first-place finish by Madeleine Bell with a win in the 3000m run. Bell ran 10:41, Rachel Tedder finished in fourth and Chloe Tedder finished in fifth with times of 10:59 and 11:01.

In the men’s shot put, Robert Watson, threw 13.41m and finished in ninth place and also too seventh in the hammer throw with a throw of 51.74.

For the women’s throwers, senior Alexis Chiles and Brashe Wood took first and third place in the shot put with throws of 14.73m and 14.51m. Junior Danisha Jones finished in fifth place with a throw of 14.06m.

“Caleb was solid today with wins in both the high jump and 110m hurdles,” Stuart said. “Keiyana and Chanelle took the 100 and 200 titles while Alexis Chiles threw very well in rainy conditions. I couldn’t be happier with a season opener.”

The Golden Eagles will travel to Tallahassee, Florida to compete in the Florida State Relays on March 23.