‘Southern Tracks’ coming to USM

Mass Communication Master’s student Sean Martin watches the time as local musician Raven Jackson is interviewed during the audition process for the host of the Southern Tracks TV show coming to USM in spring 2014. Christopher Little/Printz
Mass Communication Master’s student Sean Martin watches the time as local musician Raven Jackson is interviewed during the audition process for the host of the Southern Tracks TV show coming to USM in spring 2014.
Christopher Little/Printz

Auditions were held last week for hosts for a new TV program, “Southern Tracks.” The program will be a student-run, music-based TV program that will highlight different singer-songwriters in the Hattiesburg area.

The idea for the show came from Department Chair of the School of Mass Communication and Journalism Christopher Campbell.

“He spoke with the owner of Fox 23 and they both thought it would be nice for us to start producing a show that would benefit the School of Mass Communication and Journalism,” Executive Producer Jonathan McGowan said of the show.

“The idea was for the students to get experience in producing a show that would be aired on Fox 23, and since Hattiesburg is the ‘Hub City for Music,’ what better of a show to produce than one about music,” he added.

Eventually, “Southern Tracks” will be completely run by students. McGowan said that’s what makes the show unique.

“This show is going to be a learning experience that students should take advantage of,” McGowan said.

Until the show begins production, faculty and staff are helping out when they can, where they can.

“Currently we have teachers helping us, as the show is in the beginning stages of production,” McGowan said. “The staff and I are working hard to put the proper things in place before we begin this new journey.”

McGowan said he has high expectations for the show.

“I believe this show has potential to touch lives, captivate the viewers attention and stir up more buzz about rising artists in the Hattiesburg area,” McGowan said.

He said he is excited to be producing the show.

“I actually just sat in on a meeting about the show, and Dr. Campbell announced that I’d be the executive producer and my jaw dropped,” McGowan said. “Ever since I have been at Southern Miss, the Lord has blessed me with so many great opportunities and I am truly blessed and honored to be in a position such as this.”

There will be 13 episodes in the series.

For questions, more information or to be a part of the show, contact Jonathan McGowan at [email protected].