Musicians prepare for Holiday Choral Spectacular

Southern Chorale, Concert Choir, Men and Women’s Ensemble, Hattiesburg Choral Union and Southern Miss Symphony Orchestra will come together this week for the Holiday Choral Spectacular.
Because of the large turnout in previous years, the concert will take place over two days instead of one.

Brianna Jeansonne, a sophomore Concert Choir member, said all groups have been working hard to prepare for the performances.

“It has been a great deal of work,” Jeansonne said. “It has tested many of our musicianship skills, which is great because it helps us grow as musicians and singers.”

Like previous years, the concert will include many traditional favorites such as “Jingle Bells,” “We Three Kings” and many more.

Jeansonne’s favorite piece is “Chichester Psalms,” a famous work by Leonard Bernstein and the focus piece of this year’s concert.

“It makes us all unify in the music and come together as one great big ensemble,” Jeansonne said. “I love the feeling of singing such a significant piece of music with people who love choral music as much as I do.”
Jeansonne added that the performance will be broadcast.

“Because we’ve had so many people come to see us, we’ve added a second performance and the concert will be broadcast on television,” Jeansonne said.

“We’ve been working for a few months on this music with extra rehearsals to really perfect our sound. So, we’d like to see everyone there to hear some amazing music! Plus, it’s a great way to get in the Christmas spirit,” she added.

The Holiday Choral Spectacular is set for Tuesday, Dec. 3 and Thursday, Dec. 5 at Main Street Baptist Church. Tickets are $18 and can be purchased online at southernmisstickets.com or at the door. For more information, visit usm.edu/music.