Volleyball goes winless at Crimson-White invite

Mattie Gray

The Southern Miss volleyball team has dropped five games in a row after losing three contests, including two against ranked teams, at the Crimson-White Tournament in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, this past weekend.

On Friday, Sept. 14, the Golden Eagles faced off against No. 15 Purdue. Southern Miss gave the Boilermakers a fight, as the Golden Eagles came out and won the first set 29-27. Purdue took sets two and three, but Southern Miss managed to win set four 25-23. However, Purdue sealed the win in the fifth set by winning 21-19.

Senior Kylie Grandy led all players with 26 kills in the contest. Sophomore Madison Lawler led the Golden Eagles with 22 digs while senior Sarah Bell added to her season assist total with 49 assists against the Boilermakers.

In Southern Miss’ second game of the tournament, the team faced off against South Alabama, who had a 5-6 record heading into the game. The Golden Eagles lost to the Jaguars in three sets by scores of 26-24, 25-18 and 25-21. Bell led the team in assists and digs with 37 and 11, respectively. Sophomore Chandler Marshall also had 15 kills for Southern Miss.

The Golden Eagles returned to action on Saturday, Sept. 15, with a matchup against No. 25 Alabama. Once again, the Golden Eagles were swept in three sets, losing 25-22, 25-15 and 25-20. In the third set, the team jumped out to a quick lead and held a slim 19-18 lead late in the set, but Alabama outscored Southern Miss 7-1 down the stretch for the win.

Grandy led the team against the Crimson Tide with 13 kills and Bell added 31 assists. In total over three games during the weekend, Bell recorded 117 assists while Grandy added 51 kills for the Golden Eagles.

The Golden Eagles have a 6-7 overall record with the three losses. Southern Miss returns to action when they travel to San Antonio, Texas to play 8-4 UTSA on Sept. 21. Play is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.

Editor’s Note: Southern Miss will return to Reed Green Coliseum on Sept. 27 against Western Kentucky, not on Sept. 21 as previously published. This post has been updated to reflect this.