Golden Eagles fall in conference opener

Mattie Gray
Southern Miss’s libero recieves the ball.

The Southern Miss volleyball team (6-8, 0-1 C-USA) has now lost six games in a row after losing to UTSA (9-4, 1-0 C-USA) in four sets during the team’s first conference matchup of the season on Friday night.

In the first set, UTSA jumped out to a quick 8-3 lead. However, the Golden Eagles chipped away at the UTSA lead in the set and eventually came away with a 25-21 win.

Despite the set one win for the Golden Eagles, the Roadrunners took sets two and three by scores of 25-17 and 25-22. Needing a win in the fourth set to stay alive in the contest, the Golden Eagles allowed 25 points again in a 25-21 loss to give UTSA the set win and overall win.

Senior Kylie Grandy led Southern Miss in kills with 18 and also added two aces on the night. Sophomore Chandler Marshall also added 11 kills during the contest.

Sarah Bell added more assists to her season total with 37 assists across the four sets. The senior also led the team in digs with 16. Sophomore Madison Lawler was behind Bell with 10 digs.

The Golden Eagles will remain in Texas for their next conference matchup against UTEP on Sept. 21. UTEP is currently in last place in the C-USA standings with a 3-10 record, including a 0-1 mark in conference play so far.