Golden Eagles fall to Florida Atlantic, 2-0

The Southern Miss soccer team (8-3, 2-2 C-USA) ended its Florida road trip with a 1-1 split over the weekend. On Friday, the team earned a 3-0 win over Florida International, but fell in defeat to Florida Atlantic with a final score of 2-0 on Sunday afternoon.

The match was a defensive battle for the majority of the game between both teams, as the teams were held scoreless for entire first half. The game remained scoreless until the 46:03 mark, when FAU senior Ebba Blomqvist provided the first goal of the match. Blomqvist executed on a penalty kick, giving the Owls a 1-0 lead.

FAU junior forward Pernille Velta scored the second goal of the match at the 61:24 mark, providing FAU with a 2-0 lead. Southern Miss was not able to respond, and the Golden Eagles ended the match scoreless.

Statistically, Southern Miss ended the match with seven total saves in goal. Starting sophomore goalkeeper Kendall Mindnich recorded five saves and redshirt freshman goalkeeper Sarah Preston recorded an additional save. The team was credited was also credited one save in the contest.

Southern Miss was also outshot in the contest 16-7. The team managed one shot in the first half and six shots in the second half.

The Golden Eagles will look to get back on track as they face C-USA opponent Charlotte on Friday. The Golden Eagles will be hosting the match at 4:00 p.m. at the Southern Miss Track & Field and Soccer complex.