Southern Miss soccer earns 10th win of season

Michael Sandoz

With just under 11 minutes remaining in the game, sophomore goalie Kendell Mindnich made an imperative save during an offensive rush by UTSA in the final minutes of Southern Miss’ 1-0 win over the Roadrunners on Oct. 11.

“It definitely wasn’t the prettiest game, but we did the job,” Mindnich said. “I made some saves, helped the team stay in the game and we just fought till the end, very gritty.”

Mindnich’s key save was one of four saves in the game from the goalie, who now has 43 on the season. The save was also an illustration of the defense Southern Miss had to play in the final minutes of the game.

“Kendell made one save today and she made the save that she needed to make to keep us in the game,” Head Coach Mohammed El-Zare said.  “That’s what you want when you get to this phase of the season.  When you have a keeper that will keep you in the game and on the other side you capitalize on the chances that you get. She was phenomenal in [the] save that she had to make.”

UTEP outshot Southern Miss 8-3 in the contest, but the Golden Eagles came away with the only score of the day. Sophomore Jenny Caracheo made a brilliant pass to junior Monica Maldonado, who did not waste the opportunity and scored in the 29th minute of the first half.

“Monica is one our most creative players,” El-Zare said. “She has a great feel for the game of soccer.  She understands the game, the nuances and the subtilizes of the game and you see her flair in the way she plays.  She’s contributing off the bench for us the way we want her to given her injuries.”

Southern Miss improves to 10-3 overall and is now just one win away from tying the program record of 11 wins. In conference play, the Golden Eagles improve to 4-2 in play and sit at fourth place in the conference standings.

Southern Miss will play its last home game of the season against UTEP on Sunday, Oct. 13.