Southern Miss defeats Alabama A&M, 3-1

The Southern Miss volleyball team (15-13, 6-6 C-USA) played their last home game of the season on Monday night against Alabama A&M. The final score was 3-1 in favor of Southern Miss.

Southern Miss Head Coach Stephanie Radecki talked about how important it was to win the last home game, especially for the seniors.

“It was really nice to get that win, especially after yesterday. Yesterday was really hard for our seniors, especially with their family being here and it was an emotional day,” Radecki said. “I do think Alabama A&M is very good, so it was really nice to shut them down and keep them at a system.”

Southern Miss showed poise in the first set, going up 10-3 to start the set. They were not finished either, as Southern Miss continued the set by going up 25-10 to finish.

During the second set, Southern Miss got off to another fast start, but the Golden Eagles did allow Alabama A&M to make the set close. It wasn’t until the middle of the set that Alabama A&M called a timeout with Southern Miss leading 19-16.

Late in the set, Alabama A&M managed to tie to game 25-25, and they quickly ran off with the lead and won set two with a score of 29-27.

During the third set, the Golden Eagles exploded with a 20-9 lead. After an Alabama A&M timeout following Southern Miss’ 20th point, the Golden Eagles quickly scored 4 more points following the timeout. The Golden Eagles eventually won set three with a score of 25-12.

During the fourth set, Southern Miss once again got off to a quick lead, scoring the first seven points. It wasn’t until a score of 10-1 that Alabama A&M called its first timeout. After the timeout, The Golden Eagles continued to get separation. A lead that was once 10-1 ended with a lead of 25-5 to end the fourth set and to end the game.

Southern Miss’ last two regular-season games are on the road, and Radecki talked about what it means to finish strong.

“It’s really important,” Radecki said. “At this point in the year you have to play your best volleyball and I think we have the ability to do that and it will be really nice to have confidence headed into the conference tournament.

The Golden Eagles are set to finish the season on the road against two C-USA opponents, Louisiana Tech and North Texas. The game against LA Tech will be played on November 8th at 7 p.m.