Magee leads Golden Eagles to win over Millsaps

Making his first start of the season, redshirt senior guard Dominic Magee scored a team-high 18 points in Southern Miss’ 81-47 win over Millsaps College on Tuesday, helping the team advance to a 7-2 record in the process.

“Dom [Magee] is one of the most talented guys we’ve got,” Head Coach Doc Sadler said. “Offensively he can get us baskets. When it comes down to it, that’s what the scoreboard’s for.

Southern Miss got out to a quick 10-2 lead in the first four minutes of the contest and eventually expanded that lead to 40-9 following a Magee steal and fast-break dunk at the 5:27 mark of the half. However, Millsaps went on a 12-2 run during the final four minutes of the half to cut the Southern Miss lead to 44-23 at halftime.

“I think we came out aggressive, pressing them,” Magee said. “By them being undefeated, we just wanted to beat them.”

In his first start of the season, Magee finished the first half with 13 points on 6-of-8 shooting. Senior Cortez Edwards also added 12 first-half points for the Golden Eagles.

Southern Miss scored 24 points in the first 10 minutes of the second half and outscored Millsaps 37-24 overall in the half to come away with the win. Sophomore LaDavius Draine added nine second-half points for the Golden Eagles.

Overall, Magee finished the contest with 18 points and five rebounds in 22 minutes of play. Edwards was behind Magee with 15 points, while redshirt senior Tyree Griffin and freshman LaDarius Marshall added 10 points apiece. Junior Leonard Harper-Baker added nine defensive rebounds and 12 rebounds in total.

Southern Miss will now go on a six-game road stretch to close out the non-conference slate and begin conference play. Sadler talked about the challenges that a road stretch of that length brings.

“I’ve never gone through anything like this, six straight road games against six opponents that’s the type of teams that they are,” Sadler said. “It’s going to be tough. I’m glad we’re doing it with a senior group. “

The Golden Eagles’ next contest is against Wichita State on Dec. 15. Tip-off is set for 4:30 p.m.