Southern Miss slumps to six-game conference losing streak

Southern Miss’ losing streak extended to three games and six consecutive conference games as the squad fell to Rice 62-76 Saturday afternoon. 

In a similar story to the previous game, Southern Miss executed well early. Jaron Pierre Jr. caught fire early by hitting back-to-back three-pointers to start the game. 

However, Pierre’s early success from long range didn’t stop a 14-0 run from Rice. The Golden Eagles continued to struggle both offensively and defensively.

“The last couple of games we’ve seemed ready to go and get off to a fast start, but we just have a problem sustaining it,” Head Coach Jay Ladner said. “I didn’t think our defensive intensity was where it needed to be when you’re playing a top offensive team like that.”

Yet, the momentum of the game would soon turn. Tyler Stevenson drew a charge which led to a three from Rashad Bolden to tie the game at 16-16. 

Both Southern Miss and Rice played with intensity, but a ferocious dunk from Isiah Moore set the tone for the remaining 7 minutes of the first half. 

Jaron Pierre Jr. later made three straight three-pointers to narrow the Owls’ lead and forced a timeout, as they struggled to contain Pierre’s shooting. Following the timeout, Pierre hit another shot that tied the game 32-32.

The Owls stole the momentum as Rice guard Travis Evee hit a buzzer-beater from deep to end the first half. 

Jaron Pierre Jr. led the Southern Miss first-half scoring 19 points. However, this wasn’t enough for Pierre, as he was quick to drain a three at the start of the second half.

Pierre finished with a career-high of 29 points on 10-23 shooting, including seven three-pointers. He also recorded five rebounds and five assists with one turnover in 40 minutes of play. 

But Pierre could not lift Southern Miss into the win column as Rice dominated the second half by making open shots and limiting scoring on defense. 

Rice’s Quincy Olivari hit a three to put Rice above Southern Miss by double digits for the first time in the game, forcing Ladner to call a timeout.

Ladner looks at the scoreboard in frustration during the game. (Photo/Sean Smith)

Yet, Southern Miss threw away the ball following the timeout in a careless turnover. 

Tyler Stevenson hit a turnaround jump shot in order to get the Golden Eagles back within single digits. Stevenson recorded his fifteenth double-digit performance of the season with 14 points on 6-12 shooting and a team-high seven rebounds.

Stevenson drives for a layup against Rice. (Photo/Sean Smith)

With 9 minutes left in the half, Southern Miss had a chance to narrow the lead even more as the scoreboard stood 58-51 and Walyn Napper went to the free-throw line. 

However, he missed both and Rice extend their lead past double digits following a three-pointer from Chris Mullins.

Pierre continued to fight by scoring a contested layup to bring the Eagles within 12. Then, he lobbed the ball to Isaih Moore for an alley-oop slam to give the Golden Eagles one last spark. 

However, the late-game efforts were not enough as Rice finished the game with a 14-point lead for their twelfth win of the season.

Southern Miss will look to snap its losing streak on a two-game stand in Florida against FIU on Feb. 3 and then FAU on Feb. 5.