Domonique Davis calls game against FIU with last-second shot

Domonique Davis hits a game-winning basket against FIU with 0.5 seconds remaining. (Photo/Charlie Luttrell)

On a rainy Thursday evening, the Lady Eagles of Southern Miss defeated the Lady Panthers of FIU 65-64 in a gritty fight to the last second.

With 6.5 seconds on the clock, Southern Miss guard Domonique Davis caught the in-bound pass, dribbling to the top of the key as time ticked away.

Davis dribbled left around a hard screen set by Southern Miss Forward Kelsey Jones that removed FIU’s defense, opening a lane to a mid-range shot right at the free-throw line.

The next was history, as the shot went in as the Reed Green Coliseum erupted.

“Kelsey set a crazy screen. I think she kind of knocked the point guard out, so major shoutout to her, and I think we executed really well, and it felt good,” Davis said.

It wasn’t until the fourth quarter that Davis caught a rhythm. She shot three of four from the field in the final quarter after shooting just two of twelve before.

Davis scored the Lady Eagles’ last five points, hitting a huge three-shot to tie it at 63 with 1:57 remaining in the game.

“She’s defensively and offensively [tough]. I told her going into the fourth quarter, you have to guard somebody. She’s tough, She’s tough….Our challenge for Dom [Davis] every day is a level of consistency,” Head Coach Joye Lee-McNelis said.

A day after National Women’s in Sports Day, the Lady Eagles sported the pink uniforms, highlighting its women athletes in every spectrum of Southern Miss athletics.

The uniforms made a good impression on everyone holding a seat in the Greenhouse, who got to see a competitive game of runs throughout all four quarters, with both teams playing admirable defense.

Entering the third quarter, FIU led Southern Miss 53-49, where the Panthers outscored the Lady Eagles 22-15.

In the period, the Lady Panthers held Southern Miss to no field goals in the last five minutes.

The tables turned as Southern Miss closed the game, not allowing FIU to score a single field goal in the last 3:18 of the game.

The Lady Eagles dominated the glass for the game, out-rebounding FIU 29-21. However, Southern Miss struggled with turnovers, turning the ball over 22 times compared to FIU’s 17.

The Lady Panthers left points on the board, though, with 55% shooting from the free-throw line as opposed to Southern Miss’ 80%.

“We were fortunate to win an ugly game. They did a great job of playing at their pace. They controlled the tempo of the game for 40 minutes. I thought our will to win is what kept us close, McNelis said.

Brikayla Gray followed Davis’ leading total of 15 points with 12 points on three of six shooting from the field, eight rebounds and two assists.

Southern Miss [13-7, 5-4] now moves on to [5-15, 1-8] FAU Saturday afternoon as the Lady Eagles power through its four-game home slate.

“We have been put in a unique situation to be able to play Saturday at home [and] Monday and Thursday, and we’ve got to protect our home court.  Every team that we play brings a different style, ” Lee-McNelis said.