USM cuts ribbon on new Center for Military Veterans

Center for Military Veterans

(Photos/Sean Smith)

On Friday, Feb. 11, the University of Southern Mississippi formally dedicated the opening of its newest facility, the Quinlan-Hammond Hall of Honor, as the new Center for Military Veterans, Service Members and Families.

Hundreds attended the event, including high-profile speakers such as University of Southern Mississippi President Rodney Bennett, Mississippi U.S Representative Steven Palazzo and even former Chief of Staff Gen. John Kelly, who all delivered remarks on the building’s achievement.

Former Chief of Staff John Kelly speaks at the event. (Photo/Sean Smith)

Located on 200 N. 35th Avenue, the 5,500-square-foot facility serves as a building to “meet the needs and interests” of the USM’s military-student body, while also paying respect to the history of military service at USM. 

“These military kids have earned this moment in time,” Major General Jeff Hammond, the Director of the Center for Military Veterans, said. “They don’t deserve it- because that’s not how military people think. They earned it through hard work and now they have a home unlike anywhere in the world.” 

Hammond speaks before the building’s ribbon-cutting. (Photo/Sean Smith)

The event formally opened the building while also thanking those who helped the idea come to a realization. The Quinlan-Hammond Hall of Honor was entirely privately funded with $3.1 million donated for its construction.

The hall was named after its lead benefactor, Joseph Quinlan Jr. and Hammond, who spoke on the impact that the building will have for its students.

“This facility is more than brick and mortar- it has a heartbeat. Quinlan-Hammond Hall of Honor reflects the tremendous sacrifice our military students and their families have made for our freedoms,” Hammond said. “It is a significant campus landmark, a safe haven, and a springboard to the future for our students.”

The building features study rooms, offices and lounges, as well as artifacts that honor past military history that were provided by the University Libraries’ Special Collections, the Mississippi Armed Forces Museum, the African American Military History Museum and personal collections from families.

A key feature includes six medallions that hang from the ceiling of the Truth Faith and Allegiance Corridor, each representing the six branches of the U.S. military. The medallions are positioned so that they are illuminated as the sun rises and sets each day.

Bennett said that the university prioritizes facility development to ensure its students have the best environment to work in and that the new building secures that for military students.

“We take our role as a military-friendly institution very seriously. I could not be more proud that we are now able to provide exceptional support and resources to our military students who have already sacrificed so much for so many,” Bennett said.