AASO hosts blood drive at USM

By: Kyra Lampley

Mississippi Blood Services Collection Truck outside USM Student Union.

45 minutes is the lowest estimated time of blood donation and can result in saving up to 3 lives. 

On Thursday, March 29, the University of Southern Mississippi’s AASO (Afro-American Student Organization) hosted a blood drive through the MS Blood Services to help those in need.

Students, faculty and community members were encouraged to come out and participate in the event.

Every year, blood drives are held throughout the United States to help those in need. It is a vital substance for the function of the human body and holds high value to the medical community. 

According to the American Red Cross Blood Services, approximately 6.8 million people in the U.S. donate blood. 40 percent of that is provided by the Red Cross. 

Senior Erin Logan, the vice-president of AASO says that by sponsoring this event, the organization hopes to help the surrounding communities.

“One thing that we’re all about is community,” Logan said. “Doing a blood drive like this helps to cherish and take care of the community itself while also bringing more of USM to students and to Hattiesburg.”

Blood donations are used for a plethora of reasons including supporting patients who may need surgery, cancer treatments, childbirth or blood loss from life-threatening injuries. 

Because of this, diversity in blood supply is crucial in ensuring that the needs of all patients are met. Those with rare blood types greatly benefit from having donations.

Payton Temple, a junior construction management major, says that he hopes his donation will help someone in need.

“Donating blood is something that came to my attention probably my sophomore year of college,” Temple said. “You’re giving back to not just your community but all around.”

To give blood or find out more information, visit www.RedCross.Org.