Payne Center continues to grow, add services for campus recreation

After enduring the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, USM’s rec center has enjoyed the return of students amid more normal operations and has enacted future plans to renovate and build onto the facility.

The Payne Center has served as the hub of campus recreation for the University of Southern Mississippi for nearly 30 years after its construction in 1993.

The rec center adapted during COVID-19 by moving some exercise classes outside or spreading out on the larger courts and also delved into online capacities such as live streaming and even creating Esports tournaments as a part of its intramural competitions.

But the Payne Center has returned to more normal operations in the 2021-2022 terms, bringing back more students and continuing a plan of additions and renovations.

“Compared to the last few years, we’ve seen a lot more activity. Our basketball courts are always busy now…we are seeing great responses from students in a couple of the special events that we’ve had and we’ve got a couple more that are coming up that I anticipate having a really nice turnout,” Assistant Director of Marketing for Campus Recreation April Jordan said. 

“I’m seeing them come and look for things to do- they want to get back and be active. I think we all kind of got sedentary during the pandemic so [they’re looking] for reasons to just have fun.”

The rec center has its mainstay features such as its four multi-purpose courts, an exercise track, a natatorium, Pride Field and its WorkOut Zone, but they have had to adapt to changing trends in recreation.

For example, the Payne Center added a 30-foot high and 40-foot wide rock climbing wall in 2016 to accommodate the growing interest in rock climbing, as well as new fitness stations outside. The Payne Center also added a subscription exercise program, F45, to the center as well in 2020.

And on the other hand, the staff at the Payne Center have had to reutilize other spaces in the center that are no longer utilized as much, such as the racquetball courts. 

The constant change in student interests is something that the staff at the Payne Center monitors, as well as any needed updates for the facility. 

“That’s something we’re always monitoring as well as just updating the facility and keeping it current,” Assistant Director of Marketing for Campus Recreation April Jordan said. “If you’ve been in recently, you’ve seen that we have redone all the carpeting, which is a big deal to us and it looks and it just makes it look fresh. As far as reutilizing spaces right now, we are currently in plans of bringing something new to the space formerly occupied by our Wisteria circuit training room.”

One of the most exciting additions to the Payne Center is its recently opened escape room, Eagle Escape. Southern Miss students can pay five dollars while the community can pay 20 dollars on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays to have a chance to ‘help save Seymour’ by trying to escape by piecing together clues in the room.

“We don’t want to just be known as the gym. We have a great gym and we will encourage you to come use it but if that’s not your thing, that’s fine,” Jordan said. “We want you to find your place in- your fit in our facility. Bringing an escape room is an out-of-the-box idea that we’re trying and we’re very excited about.” 

The escape room opened in early April after around seven months of preparation and while Jordan said some have come close to escaping, no group has yet to successfully escape within the time limits.

And on top of the additions, the Payne Center is finishing renovations to its flooring while looking to make other changes soon. Jordan says that despite the facility’s rising age, it has aged well.

“There’s always going to be wear and tear in a building but I will say that each year, we go into other facilities…and I’m amazed at how well our building is holding up compared to even newer facilities that have come since ours. Our custodial team, as well as our students, staff and professionals, take an excellent job of taking care of the facility.”

As the center continues to upgrade equipment and spaces as well as keep the facility in shape, Jordan reminds of the purpose that a rec center like the Payne Center provides for a campus.

“The Payne Center really provides that stress relief that we all need in our daily lives. We take it for granted and we think we can manage all the many things that are thrown at us and as students, y’all have a lot of things on your plate,” Jordan said. “We recognize that so we want to provide that outlet where you can come destress in the way that you feel works for you and also meet people throughout your time here.”