Team places 14th at Old Waverly Collegiate

Zach Estep placed 78th after shooting 11-over par 83 at Old Waverly Collegiate Monday.  Courtesy Photo
Zach Estep placed 78th after shooting 11-over par 83 at Old Waverly Collegiate Monday.

Southern Miss men’s golf team participated in the Old Waverly Collegiate hosted by Mississippi State at the par-71 Old Waverly Golf Club.

After the first round at Old Waverly Collegiate the Southern Miss men’s golf team was in 15th place. The second round of play was suspended due to darkness.

Before play was suspended, the Golden Eagles were 17-over par shooting a combined 305. Senior Trent Hillis was tied for 34th place at two-over par with a 74 in the round. Fellow senior Kevin Brady was tied for 43rd place shooting a three-over par 75.

Drew Kirby and Kevin Jorden were both tied for 66th place after shooting 78 and Zach Estep was in 78th place after shooting 11-over par 83.

Once play resumed the following day, the Golden Eagles shot 291 and 285 in the second and third round respectively to finish 17-over par. They finished in 14th place at the Old Waverly Collegiate.

Hillis and Jorden both improved their scores and finished tied for 28th at four-over par. The 72 Hillis shot was his first round of par or better this year and the third of his career. Hillis set new career records with a score of 146 on the 36-hole and a score of 220 on the 54-hole.

Jorden shot a career best 66 in the final round. Jorden’s 66 is the second lowest third round score in school history and is his sixth round of par or better this year. Brady improved his placing and finished tied for 35th place at five over par after shooting two 73’s

Kirby would finish tied for 41st place at six-over par following two straight 72’s. Kirby now has four rounds of par or better this year to give him a total of five for his career. Estep ended with a 74 and a 77 to finish 18-over par for 77th place.

The hosting Mississippi State Bulldogs won the tournament at five-under par. USM will participate in Madison, Miss., for the Reunion Intercollegiate April 14-15 for their next tournament.