Phi Music Fest benefits Children’s Miracle Network

Phi Mu held their fourth annual Phi Music Fest to benefit Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals April 11-12.

“Whether they suffer from common childhood afflictions like asthma and broken bones, or fight bigger challenges like birth defects or cancer, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals provide comfort, treatment and hope to millions of sick kids,” said Hannah Curtin, philanthropy chair for Phi Mu.

“In fact, Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals treat one in 10 children in North America each year,” Curtin said. “These kids aren’t in faraway countries or from opposite sides of the nations – they’re in your community. All of our proceeds from Phi Music Fest events will go directly to our local CMN hospital, Blair E. Batson in Jackson, Miss.”

This year’s Phi Music Fest consisted of a step show competition between the Greek organizations Friday night and a carnival Saturday afternoon.

“We tried to do things a little differently this year,” said Emily Radcliffe, president of Phi Mu. “Greek organizations were paired in two’s or three’s and will be competing as a team throughout the two days of competition.”
“We really wanted to evoke the idea of organizations working together toward a cause, and we always try to embrace any opportunity we have to continue Greek unity on our campus,” Radcliffe said.

This is only the second year that Phi Mu has included a step show to the last of activities in the Phi Music Fest competition. Six teams competed, with the team of Delta Delta Delta and Pi Kappa Phi taking home first place.

Saturday was the big event. Bands came out and played music from 12-3 p.m. at The District. The teams decorated booths and played games such as corn hole and water pong. There was even a dunking booth. Food was served all throughout the event.

“They had a huge raffle with really great stuff like Vera Bradley bags, name brand sunglasses, quilts and Southern Miss apparel,” said Miranda Mixon, a student and member of the Greek Life community.

The most touching part of the day was when a cancer patient from Blair E. Batson Hospital shared her journey with everyone who attended Phi Music Fest.

Chi Omega won the overall competition, and over $28,000 was raised for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.