USM faculty take on new positions

David Davies
David Davies

The University of Southern Mississippi will be welcoming two new faces onto its campus, and one well-known faculty member will be changing his role and moving to a new department.

Dave Davies, formerly the dean of the Honors College, will become a faculty member at the School of Mass Communication and Journalism after serving as dean of the Honors College for seven years.

“The opportunities to strike out in a new direction enticed me to make the change,” Davies said. “I’ll be based in MCJ but working part-time in International Programs. Working in Honors has been wonderful, but striking out in a new direction is rewarding as well.”

“I’ve been dean of the Honors College for seven years, and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. Working with such fine students, terrific co-workers and faculty has been a joy. I decided to return to my home department, the School of Mass Communication and Journalism, to teach, do research and direct the British Studies Program as well as our Semester-in-France Program,” Davies said.

In addition to serving as the Director of the British Studies and Semester-in-France Program, Davies will teach courses in writing, editing and media history starting in the fall of 2014.

David Hayhurst
David Hayhurst

The university has yet to announce a new dean of the Honors College.

Davies said he enjoyed his time he spent in the Honors College and notes the important milestones reached during his time there.

“Absolutely every accomplishment of the Honors College in the seven years I’ve been dean is the product of cooperation among units all across campus,” Davies said.

“I’m particularly proud of the Honors College’s growth to 650 students, and I’m very pleased about the successful move into our new home, the Honor House, in 2011. The greatest joy has been the day-to-day intersection with the faculty, staff and students.”

Before Davies started teaching at USM in 1991, he worked for 10 years as a journalist. Most recently he was a reporter for the Arkansas Gazette. Davies holds a Ph.D. in mass communication with an emphasis in media history from The University of Alabama, as well as a master’s degree in journalism from Ohio State University and a master’s degree in American history from Southern Miss.

John Eye, who was formerly the dean of Library Services and professor of library science at Southern Utah University, will join Southern Miss as dean of University Libraries starting July 1.

John Eye
John Eye

“I’m excited about joining the Hattiesburg and university communities and look forward to being involved in the role Southern Miss libraries play in student success, faculty research and the overall growth of the university,” Eye said in a Southern Miss Now report.

David Hayhurst will join USM as the dean of the College of Science and Technology August 15.

Hayhurst was dean of the College of Engineering at San Diego State University and The University of South Alabama.

“I am delighted that Dr. Hayhurst will join us as our next dean of the College of Science and Technology,” said Provost Denis Wiesenburg in a Southern Miss Now Report. “His background in chemical engineering and his experience as dean of engineering at South Alabama and San Diego State will be invaluable to the continued development of our program in polymer science and engineering.”