Mississippi Hall celebrates Centennial

Mississippi Hall Courtesy Photo
Mississippi Hall
Courtesy Photo

On Thursday April 24, The University of Southern Mississippi will celebrate Mississippi Hall’s 100th anniversary.

Mississippi Hall is a campus residence hall that is home to female upperclassmen at USM. However, according to a press release by USM faculty, the building, which costs approximately $128,000 to construct, began as a women’s dormitory that included a textbook center, which was located in the basement.

To mark the special occasion, students and members of the community are invited to join USM in an event that will take place in honor of the building and the history it shares with the rest of Southern Miss campus. The Department of Residence Life and residents of Mississippi Hall, as well as faculty and staff, will be attending the ceremony.

According to Jennifer Rigney, the manager of marketing at Southern Miss and coordinator of the centennial party, throughout the event guests will be able to gather for a short ceremony followed by refreshments.
Also, Rigney said Director of Residence Life Scott Blackwell will be giving a speech about the building and the purpose it has served at Southern Miss.

Mississippi Hall was established in 1914, just a few years after the beginning of the university. Rigney said the event will take place on the front porch of the building. The celebration is set to begin at 11:00 a.m.