USM begins Union elevator installation

Meredith Bennett
Demolition of The Union Complex elevator began Aug. 25, and the demolition is expected to be completed in about two weeks, according to a press release. Submitted by Assistant Director of Marketing and Campus Relations Michelle Shinall of the Physical Plant, the press release said the demolition will be followed by the installation of a new elevator, with an estimated project completion date of February 2015. In the meantime students are instructed to expect loud noises during the two-week demolition of the elevator, which is located just north of Subway and Chick-fil-a. For questions or concerns please call the Physical Plant at 601-266-4414.- Meredith Bennett
Demolition of The Union Complex elevator began Aug. 25. | Photo by  Meredith Bennett

Demolition of The UnionComplex elevator began Aug. 25, and the demolition is expected to be completed in about two weeks, according to a press release. 

Submitted by Assistant Director of Marketing and Campus Relations Michelle Shinall of the Physical Plant, the press release said the demolition will be followed by the installation of a new elevator, with an estimated project completion date of February 2015. 

“Modifications to the all-concrete structure, which are required to support the enlarged size of the new elevator, are difficult and time-consuming,” Shinall said. “While our goal is to always complete projects as quickly as possible, the safety of all working on and using the facility is the priority.”

In the meantime students are instructed to expect loud noises during the two-week demolition of the elevator, which is located just north of Subway and Chick-fil-A. Despite a lengthy construction process, Shinall said the new elevator will be more spacious and meet all new codes of the Americans with Disabilities Act. 

For questions or concerns please call the Physical Plant at 601-266-4414.