USM volleyball wins Southern Miss Invitational

The Golden Eagle volleyball team started off the season on a high note this weekend, winning the Southern Miss Invitational tournament.

USM posted wins against Alabama A&M and Nicholls.  The Golden Eagles struggled mightily against Nicholls early, but came back strong and finished the match on a high note.  The ladies defeated Nicholls 3-1 with set scores of 25-8, 25-22, 23-25, and 25-16.

Southern dominated Alabama A&M 3-0 with set scores of 25-11, 25-13 and 25-16.

Jasmine Crowell earned the MVP award of the tournament.  She posted 14 kills and 15 blocks in the tournament.   Stephany Purdue had a superb night.  The sophomore claimed all-tournament honors by recording 28 kills, 12 digs and five blocks.  Elise Ames was elected to the all-tournament team with 17 kills and seven blocks.

The Golden Eagles recorded 107 kills at a 34 percent hitting clip, while picking up 100 digs and 23 team blocks. The Golden Eagles’ opponents finished with 60 kills with .072 hitting, totaled 64 digs and eight team blocks.

Lydia Bonner and Quinci Hayward had solid performances as well, each posting double digit kills.  Head coach Amanda Berkley was pleased with her team’s performance.

“I like the way we responded to adversity against Nicholls early on,” Berkley said.  “We have some things to work on, but I was pleased overall.” Saturday after posting a pair of wins against Alabama A&M and Nicholls. The Golden Eagles defeated Alabama A&M 3-0 (25-11, 25-13, 25-16) and concluded with a 3-1 win over Nicholls (25-8, 25-22, 23-25, 25-13).

The Golden Eagles travel to Troy for a match September 1 at 1 p.m.