USM goes 2-2 in ISTAP tournament

Courtesy Photo
Courtesy Photo

The Southern Miss volleyball team dropped a three-set match to Alabama 25-23, 25-11, 25-15 in day one of the ISTAP Collegiate Cup 2 Tournament.

Jasmine Crowell led the Golden Eagles with a match-high 13 kills. Southern Miss played hard, but ultimately fell after a series of kills by Alabama, 25-23.

The teams fought back and forth in the second set, but Southern couldn’t muster any offense. Alabama dominated this set 25-11. The final set was much of the same, being dominated by Alabama, 25-15.

In the second match of the day, Southern Miss was able to get their first win of the tournament against Southeast Missouri State, 3-2 (25-16, 24-26, 25-12, 25-27, 15-10).

Quinci Hayward, Stephany Purdue and Lydia Bonner all totaled double-digit kills.

Southern Miss ran out to a 6-1 lead and never let up in the first set. The Golden Eagles took the set 25-16.

The second set was contested closely, but SEMO eventually pulled out the 26-24 win after over a dozen lead changes. SEMO’s offense couldn’t get it going in the third set and the Golden Eagles took advantage in cruising to a 25-12 victory.

In the fourth set, the Redhawks had multiple blocks late, and reeled off the narrow victory, 27-25.

The final set was all Southern Miss. The Lady Golden Eagles dominated recording several blocks and won, 15-10.

Southern Miss volleyball was defeated in a match by Towson with scores of 25-18, 25-14 and 25-18. Elise Ames and Stephany Purdue led the team in kills.

The first set was dominated by Towson, putting the Lady Golden Eagles down early 25-18.

The second set was more of the same, as Southern could never get their wheels turning. Towson jumped out to an early 7-2 lead and never looked back, defeating USM, 25-14.

In the third set, Towson ran out to an 11-5 lead and never looked back. Southern Miss fought valiantly, but couldn’t get establish any defensive presence.

In the next match of the tourney, the Lady Golden Eagles defeated Alabama State, 3-0 by a score of 27-25, 25-20 and 25-23.

The Golden Eagles improved to 9-4 while Alabama State dropped to 4-9. Stephany Purdue, Quinci Hayward and Lydia Bonner led the team with kills in the double digits once again.

Throughout the first set, there were multiple lead changes, and it was a very fast-paced match. After a series of kills by Quinci Hayward, Southern Miss pulled away late with a score of 27-25.

Alabama State started the second set on a high note, scoring the first five points. It was all USM after that though with the Lady Golden Eagles closing out the set, 25-20.

In the third set, USM started off strong and never looked back. After a 7-3 opening run, USM cruised to a 25-23 win.

Southern Miss now travels to Hammond, Louisiana to play Southeastern Tuesday for a 7 p.m. match