Southern Miss NPHC week begins

The National Panhellenic Council (NPHC) at The University of Southern Mississippi will host its annual week of events Sept. 15-19. 

Trent Johnson, USM NPHC’s president, said the council’s mission is to best exemplify their theme for this week, which is “A Different World.” The theme’s meaning is about showing the public another side of Greeks as a whole, so that NPHC can connect better with students and faculty at Southern Miss. 

“As president, I’m really excited to show off the time and hard work that my executive board has put in to make this week a successful one,” Johnson said. “We each had our own ideas to bounce off each other and we finally came up with events that we feel the campus will truly enjoy.”

On Monday at 7 p.m., NPHC will have their annual Hop Contest that will take place in Bennett Auditorium. There is a $2 entry at the door and a profit share at Raising Cane’s will proceed after the event. On Tuesday, the council will encourage students to sign up and designate a time to donate blood at the NPHC Blood Bowl from 11-2 p.m. in Thad Cochran Center Atrium. 

On Wednesday night at 6 p.m., the council will host the “Crossing the Line” program in Wilbur Stout Hall Room A. This program is centered on the discussion of Greek stereotypes, how the Greek system is portrayed on social media and life before and after becoming Greek. 

On Thursday at 6 p.m., NPHC will give back to the community by hosting a game night in Thad Cochran Ballroom II. There is a $1 entry and proceeds will go toward Leukemia Awareness. 

NPHC Field Day will take place Friday from 3-6 p.m. on the Intramural Fields and will conclude the council’s week of events. 

“The council has several goals for this year, which includes continuing to serve not only our campus, but the Hattiesburg community, break the stereotypes that some may have about the NPHC and to involve ourselves more with the other Greek councils, IFC and CPC,” Johnson said. 

The NPHC council at USM was charted in 1993 and African-American Greek-letter organizations have a long history at Southern Miss, according to the Southern Miss NPHC website. Organizations that are currently active on campus include Alpha Kappa Alpha, Omega Psi Phi, Delta Sigma Theta, Pi Beta Sigma, Sigma Gamma Rho, Kappa Alpha Psi, Alpha Phi Alpha, Zeta Phi Beta and Iota Phi Theta.