Symphony Orchestra opens 95th season

The University of Southern Mississippi’s Symphony Orchestra season opens Oct. 2 at 7:30 p.m. at Bennett Auditorium. The 95th season debuts with “From the New World.”

The School of Music encourages patrons to dress in their best fashion for this very special opening.

According to the School of Music’s website, “Similar to glamorous openings at the Metropolitan Opera and New York City Ballet, this is the Pine Belt’s chance to ramp up the glamor and enjoy a first rate musical evening with a very special program, world-class guest artist and the incomparable Symphony Orchestra,” said Jay Dean, music director.

The orchestra will open the first half by celebrating the bicentennial of “The Star-Spangled Banner” with an arrangement of the anthem by Luigi Zaninelli, a retired Southern Miss professor and clo-se the show with Amit Peled, professor at the Peabody Conservatory of Music, performing Dvorák Cello Concerto.

Andrea Beltran Landers, a cello player in the orchestra, feels honored to play such a wonderful piece of music.

“I would say this concert was a wonderful experience,” Beltran said. “I could feel a very special energy coming from each member of the orchestra in every note of Dr. Zaninelli’s arrangement of ‘The Star Spangled Banner.’ Mr. Ivan del Prado conducted the symphony with vitality and personality, inspiring us through each movement.”

According to Southern Miss Now, this opening also marks the first concert on the renovated stage of Bennett Auditorium.

Season and individual tickets are  on  sale at southernmisstickets.com. Students with ID have free admittance if seating remains available.