USM team’s struggles continue in Louisiana tourney

USM+team%E2%80%99s+struggles+continue+in+Louisiana+tourney+
Senior Casey Fernandez participates in the David Toms Intercollegiate in Baton Rouge on Sunday. Courtesy Photo
Senior Casey Fernandez participates in the David Toms Intercollegiate in Baton Rouge on Sunday. | Courtesy Photo

After a third-place finish at the Memphis Intercollegiate on Sept. 16, the Southern Miss men’s golf team traveled to Louisiana to compete in the David Toms Intercollegiate Oct. 5, the Golden Eagles came away disappointed.

The David Toms Intercollegiate was hosted by LSU at the par-72, 7,663-yard University Club, which gave the young Golden Eagles some trouble and handed them their worst finishes of the year.

Freshman Vasill Kartos and sophomore Ryan Argotsinger both had rough days, shooting 26 and 24-over par to finish in 56th and 53rd place, respectively. Juniors Tyler Peggs and Hayes Weathersby would not fare much better, going 26-over par and 25-over par to fall back into 56th and 54th place.

The Golden Eagles bounced back thanks to seniors Drew Kirby and Casey Fernandez. Kirby shot a 75 and would end up tied for 20th at 12-over par. It was Kirby’s second top-20 finish this year and fourth of his career.

Fernandez put in a spectacular final round of 73 to finish seven-over par, tied with North Texas’ Juan Munoz. It was Fernandez’s second top five finish on the year.

The Golden Eagles finished in 11th place as a team in the 12-team field, shooting a combined 66-over par. Their best round was easily the final round where they shot a combined 300, 13 shots better than round two and 17 shots better than round one.

The host of the tournament, LSU, finished with the team championship, shooting 27-over par as a whole. Southeastern Louisiana would fall just short of that mark, going 29-over par to finish second. Mercer would bring up the rear at third place, finishing well behind LSU and Southeastern.

The top golfer over the weekend was LSU’s Benjamin Taylor and took home medalist’s honors by shooting two-under par.

The Golden Eagles have a chance to get back on track, starting when they travel to Ruston, Louisiana on Oct. 20 and 21 in the Jim Rivers Intercollegiate. The event will be hosted by Conference USA foe Louisiana Tech at the Squire Creek Country Club.

Louisiana Tech placed 10th at the David Toms Intercollegiate.