Taylor sets school record in double overtime draw

The Southern Miss soccer team played a tough game Saturday, but just could not break through as they tied Louisiana Tech 0-0 in double overtime on senior day.

La Tech controlled the pace of the game from kickoff until the final whistle blew, but Golden Eagles sophomore goalkeeper Brittany Taylor had easily the best game of her career and set a school-record with 21 saves, including nine in overtime. The previous record was just 16.

The Bulldogs penetrated Southern Miss’ defense quite easily throughout the game, but Taylor simply had their number. The Bulldogs got off 34 shots on the afternoon, 23 on goal, compared to just 13 shots with nine on goal for Southern Miss.

La Tech continually looked for Brittany Beddow on offense as she attempted 10 shots, five more than any one of her teammates. Kathryn Sloan was the most effective offensive player for the Bulldogs with all four of her shots coming on goal.

Ashley Johnson paced the Golden Eagle offense, taking nearly 54 percent of the team’s shots. While she was not nearly as active as Taylor, La Tech goalkeeper Kylee Seto was equally as effective as she saved all nine shots on goal.

It was a bittersweet game for the six Southern Miss seniors; they would have loved to get the win, but being a part of history with Taylor’s record breaking performance was certainly special for the departing seniors.

Southern Miss (5-8-3, 0-4-3) will look to end their seven-game winless skid Friday against Marshall before taking on Western Kentucky Sunday. Kickoff against Marshall is scheduled for 3 p.m.