IEW promotes study abroad programs

The Center for International Education (CIE) at The University of Southern Mississippi will host International Education Week Monday through Friday.

According to Office of International Programs coordinator Hannah Jones, International Education Week is a U.S. Department of State and U.S. Department of Education co-sponsored initiative to celebrate the impact studying abroad has on American and foreign students alike.
“The CIE wants to bring this celebration to USM’s campus to make students aware of their opportunities to go abroad and gain a global perspective as well as to give them a chance to meet the international students and learn more about their cultures and customs,” Jones said.

The week’s events begin Monday with the Center for International Education Open House from 11 a.m to 1 p.m. in the International Center Room 410. The International Club movie night will begin at 7 p.m. in Wilbur Stout Hall.

On Tuesday, a Study Abroad Fair will be held in the Thad Cochran Center (TCC) lobby from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Meanwhile, in TCC Room 218A, program informational sessions will feature a different study abroad program every 30 minutes from 10 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. The sessions will range from Belize to Ireland. A study abroad alumni panel will take place from noon to 1 p.m.
A cultural fair will be held in TCC lobby from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday.

“My favorite event of International Education Week at Southern Miss is the cultural fair,” Jones said. “I love being able to talk to the international students about their countries and cultures. It is fascinating to hear about how different their traditions and customs are. Additionally, I’m excited to be leading a group of 90 high school students on campus that day and for them to be able to experience the cultural fair.”

Thursday’s events will begin with the Study Abroad Lunch and Learn on the Gulf Park Campus from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. On the Hattiesburg campus, the Department of Foreign Languages and Literature Social will begin at 5 p.m. in the Liberal Arts Building Room 110, followed by karaoke at 6 p.m. in Room 109.

On Friday there will be a Peace Corps tabling from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Quidditch on the Quad at the intramural fields at 3:30 p.m. and a cricket demonstration at the BSU from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.

Photos submitted for the Cultural Perspectives Student Photo Contest will be displayed in the LAB lobby. The photos will be judged based on popular vote by ballot, number of Facebook likes and faculty votes.

The CIE is comprised of the Office of International Programs, the English Language Institute and International Student and Scholar Services. For more information visit usm.edu/study-abroad.