Pie-A-Professor fundraiser to benefit physics outreach

The Society of Physics Students and the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics will give students the chance to pie their favorite – or least favorite – professor Friday.

The Pie-A-Professor fundraiser will be held at the fountain in Shoemaker Square at noon.

Eleven professors have agreed to participate.  Donation jars have been placed in both the physics department and the math department with the faces of the professors.

The physics professors that will participate are Khin Maung, Michael Vera, Lawrence Mead, Christopher Sirola and Chris Winstead.

From the math department, professors Bernd Schroeder, James Lambers, Sungwook Lee, Jeremy Lyle, Karen Kohl and Marlene Naquin will participate.

On Nov. 21, the professors with the most money in their jar will get a pie thrown in their face.  A professor from the physics department, one from the math department and a runner-up will be chosen.

The Pie-A-Professor fundraiser will help both SPS and SIAM do several
different things.

“The Society of Physics Students is a social and outreach organization for both physics majors and anyone with an interest in physics,” professor Michael Vera said.  “We regularly perform demonstrations at schools in the area and occupy a booth at Hubfest every year.”

The SPS will host an event called Zone 10 in the spring.

“We will be having college physics students from Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas and part of Tennessee all come to USM to talk about physics, present research and hang out,” said Robert McGrath, president of SPS.

The Pie-A-Professor event will help SIAM jumpstart its presence on campus, as it is the newest math society to come to Southern Miss.

“We wanted them to have a good start with some funding for seminars (and) group activities,” McGrath said.

The donation jars are still up in the physics and math departments for students to donate.  For more information regarding this event, contact Elliot Roberts at [email protected].