Fans opt for traditional logo

traditional eye

“Traditional Eye”

The Southern Miss community chose the “Traditional Eye” as its new eagle head logo with 57 percent of the votes. The “Dynamic Eagle” head design finished with 33 percent. According to southernmisslogo.com, “after careful consideration of our stakeholders’ feedback and consultation with Licensing Resource Group (LRG), RARE Design and our outside licensing attorney, we have initiated the trademark registration for the ‘Traditional Eye’ logo.”

An application submitted to the United States Patent and Trademark Office for the “Traditional Eye” will take about six months to a year for approval. The website states that when the application goes through the trademark examination process, the logo will be released to Southern Miss’ licensing partners to begin plans for merchandise.

Since November 2014, Southern Miss was to adopt a new eagle head design in response to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, which said the logo too closely resembled that of the University of Iowa Hawkeyes. RARE Design presented two designs for Southern Miss fans to choose from: the traditional eye and the dynamic eye. Southernmisslogo.com gave fans the chance to comment on each design and vote for their favorite one until the end of November.