Southern Miss Self-Imposes Postseason Ban

Randy Sartin-USA TODAY Sports
Dec 31, 2014; Knoxville, TN, USA; Tennessee Volunteers head coach Donnie Tyndall during the game against the East Tennessee State Buccaneers at Thompson-Boling Arena. Mandatory Credit: Randy Sartin-USA TODAY Sports

Southern Miss self-imposed a postseason ban for the 2014-15 season, announced in a statement Tuesday evening.

The university informed Conference USA and the NCAA about the decision. Since November, the university has been cooperating with the NCAA regarding violations involving “Prop 48″ recruits during former head coach Donnie Tyndall’s tenure at USM.

On Tuesday, the Southern Miss men’s basketball team was informed that Athletic Director Bill McGillis decided to ban the team from any postseason activities, including the Conference USA Tournament, for the current 2014-2015 basketball season due to the ongoing University and NCAA investigation.

“I am saddened and extremely disappointed for the members of our men’s basketball team, who will not be able to participate in the postseason this year, as well as for our new coaching staff and fans,” McGillis said.

“This self-imposed penalty was a painful, but necessary, decision based on information gathered during the review process.”

The university will continue to to cooperate with the NCAA during the ongoing review process.

The Golden Eagles are set to play the Rice Owls Jan. 22 at Tudor Fieldhouse. It will be the Golden Eagles first game since receiving the sanctions.