Former NSC Member to Visit, Lecture at USM

unknown
Henry Nau, expert on U.S. foreign policy and international politics and former White House senior staffer presents a special lecture Monday at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the Peck House. -Courtesy photo

This week students at The University of Southern Mississippi and members of the Hattiesburg community will have an opportunity to attend a special lecture by a former White House senior staffer whose roots run deep within the Southern Miss community.

Professor Henry Nau graduated from Hattiesburg High School before receiving a B.S. in economics, politics and science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He then went on to receive a M.A. and Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University.

Nau was also a senior staff member for President Reagan during the early 1980s, where he served as a member of the National Security Council dealing with international economic affairs.

I think this is a great opportunity for students to hear about what working on the National Security Council is like, specifically under a more conservative administration,” said AnnaKate Baygents, a junior international studies major.

Nau has authored multiple articles and books. His latest work is a book titled “Conservative Internationalism: Armed Diplomacy under Jefferson, Polk, Truman and Reagan,” in which he discusses the often overlooked concept of conservative internationalism in foreign policy and how it is demonstrated in the Jefferson, Polk, Truman and Reagan presidencies.

Henry Nau is a world-class scholar in the field of international relations,” said David Holley, chair of the Department of Philosophy and Religion. “We are privileged to be able to welcome him to USM on Monday evening to share his insights.”

Nau shares an important connection with USM. His father, John Nau, was the founder of the Department of Philosophy and Religion at Southern Miss, where he taught for 26 years before retiring, 17 of which he spent as chair of the department. Furthermore, Nau served as the first chaplain at the university.

In addition to drawing an audience from the university, we expect this lecture to attract people from the local community who know Henry and his family,” Holley said.

Henry Nau will lead a lecture tonight at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at the Peck House, located at 3601 Pearl Street. He will discuss current issues in United States foreign policy and his father’s legacy.

In addition, the children of John Nau will be making a donation to the John F. Nau Endowment for Philosophy and Religion in honor of their father.