Students Excited for Golden Eagle Idol

Eight of the university’s most talented singers will compete in the first Golden Eagle Idol Wednesday.

SMAC will host the event and award a cash prize to the first-place winner, second and third placeholders and crowd favorite. 

In the past, Golden Eagle Idol was known as Southern Miss Got Talent, which consisted of various areas of competition. The former contest lasted for over a decade before being reformed this year into a singing competition only.

Billy Mauldin, a junior marketing major, will compete in the event this year. He revealed his excitement for the show and just being able to perform on any platform.

I’m really looking forward to performing at Eagle Idol this year,” Mauldin said. “I love getting any chance to play and I believe it will be a fun show.”

He added that he admires the diverse nature of the group, which will perform different styles of music that everyone can enjoy.

Briar Jonnee will emcee the event alongside senior communications studies major and president of SMAC Gavin Snyder. Many may have seen Jonee on this season’s “The Voice.” The songbird made it to the top 48 out of more than 60,000 people who auditioned and worked with Universal Studios and other labels in the music industry.

Having the opportunity to have done a show such as ‘The Voice’ has definitely boosted my career,” Jonnee said. “I’m thankful for the exposure and now I feel like I have a pretty fair start at branding myself as an artist separate from the show.”

The judge’s panel for the show will consist of two members from the student body and two members from the faculty and staff. Providing entertainment for the event is Chaotic Movement and the Stage Monkeys.

Admission is $2 with a Southern Miss ID and $5 without a Southern Miss ID. It will take place on April 1st in Bennett Auditorium.