Men’s Team Places Into Top 10

Casey Fernandez, senior business administration major, practices at the Hattiesburg Country club as the golf team comes out everyday to improve on their season. -Printz Archive

Senior Drew Kirby and sophomore Ryan Argotsinger both placed in the top 10 at the UALR/First Tee Collegiate. The classic was played at Chenal Country Club, a par-72, 7,100-yard golf complex.

The pair finished one-over par and tied for 10th place. Argotsinger played some of his best golf in the final round and shot a 72. Kirby shot a 75 and with the top 10 finishes, it is the second straight top 10 finish for both. Kirby has two top 10 finishes and Argotsinger has four for their careers.

Before the final round, Kirby was tied for sixth place, but a subpar final round cost him a top five finish. Still Kirby is one of USM’s top golfers and will have a chance in their next invitational.

Only a sophomore, Argotsinger should be one of the premier golfers on USM’s squad for years to come. Before the final round today, Argotsinger was on the outside looking in, as he was tied for 16th place before turning things around.

As a team, USM posted a final round of 28-over par, good enough to place in the top 10 as well after being just 13th the previous round.

Senior Casey Fernandez shot five-over par in the final round, posted a total 73 and finished tied for 24th place. Junior Hayes Weathersby and freshman Vasill Kartos posted a 21-over par after a 75 and an 82 to finish 78th and 89th, respectively.

Tulsa won the team competition at two-over par, two strokes ahead of Memphis. In a tight race, Tulsa’s Matt Mabrey finished first among individuals and was ahead of Central Arkansas’ Pep Angles and ULM’s Greg Smail.

USM will return to action April 6 and 7 as they travel to West Point, Mississippi for the Old Waverly Collegiate. It will be their final invitational before the Conference USA Championship tournament.