NPHC Fraternity Claims Chapter of the Year

From left to right: senior broadcast journalism major Wilton Jackson, senior kinesiotherapy major Kyle Oatis and junior broadcast journalism major Perry Robinson

The University of Southern Mississippi’s Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc chapter, Kappa Iota took home three notable awards during the 79th Provincial Council Meeting in Little Rock, Arkansas.

The provincial meetings are held each year for undergraduate and alumni members to come together and discuss things including national-level initiatives in the fraternity, fraternity business through interactive sessions and community service opportunities.

Over the past three years at provincial meetings, the Kappa Iota chapter has won numerous awards, and this year was no different. USM’s chapter was the third-time winner for the Southwestern Province Chapter of the Year Award.

It is hard to win this award, but to win it three times in a row speaks volume about this chapter and the leadership with in it,” said Perry Robinson, a junior broadcast journalism major and the vice-polemarch for the Kappa Iota chapter.

I am so proud to be a member of this chapter and to see that our hard work, dedication and leadership does not go unnoticed.”

USM’s chapter competed against undergraduate and graduate levels in Kappa Alpha Psi, which make up 12 provinces across the nation, with the largest being the Southwestern Province.

Special recognition was given to undergraduate and alumni members that demonstrated exceptional campus involvement, campus leadership, community service, leadership in fraternity or fulfilled and led major fraternity initiatives in their chapter, province or nationally.

Jerome Brown, the fraternity’s off-campus adviser, also received the Adviser of the Year Award. He is an alumni member of the Hattiesburg Alumni chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., a graduate of Jackson State University and serves as the senior vice president and director of community development at First Bank of Hattiesburg.

Serving my fraternity as an adviser is one of the greatest joys of being a fraternity member,” Brown said.  It is important to put young men on a pathway for success in helping them to achieve in every field of human endeavor.”

Among the awards, senior broadcast journalism major Wilton Jackson won the Highest GPA award, with this being the second time he has received the prize.

Trent Johnson, a senior exercise science major and 2014-2015 National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) president, said the success of his chapter over the last three years makes him proud to be a member.

It is (a) pleasure to receive the awards because it’s a reflection of the time and effort that’s put in by members of the chapter,” Johnson said. “It is good to know that when my school days (are over), this chapter will remain in good hands in the years to come.”

Kappa Iota was chartered at The University of Southern Mississippi Oct. 10, 1980.