MCJ Media Week to Kick Off Tuesday

From Tuesday to Thursday, The University of Southern Mississippi School of Mass Communication and Journalism will host MCJ Media Week in College Hall and other places on campus.

The week will allow students to interact with professionals in broadcasting and journalism through lectures, portfolio reviews and a broadcast professional panel.

Several members of WDAM News 7, such as digital content manager Erin Lowrey and digital media director David McRaney, will be present to host various events throughout the week.

Tuesday will feature the majority of the events. Guests will give lectures in various College Hall classrooms from 9:30 a.m. to 2:15 p.m., and journalism portfolio reviews will begin at 2:30 p.m and last until 4:30 p.m. Students interested in having their portfolios reviewed will need to sign up for review appointments in College Hall 106 before the events.

Broadcast journalism students seeking portfolio reviews should contact Mary Sheffer ([email protected]) to set up review appointments, which will be held in Thad Cochran Center 216 from 10 a.m. to noon on Wednesday.

On Thursday, a plenary session with David McRaney will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. in Thad Cochran Center 218. The week will end with the career fair, which will begin at 2:30 p.m. on the third floor of College Hall.

Erin Lowrey, who will speak to classes and reviewing portfolios during MCJ Media Week, weighed in on the importance of this week’s events.

Those who major in any form of media need to take advantage of weeks like this because they can learn so much more from professionals that isn’t necessarily taught in school,” Lowrey said.

You want to put your best foot forward in the workforce, and who better to help you do that than those who are already in the profession?

Lowrey also said that students should engage in any MCJ Media Week events they can, as studying broadly can benefit their professional careers.

Cheryl Jenkins, a professor at the Southern Miss School of Mass Communication and Journalism, encourages students to attend and engage in the week’s events.

This major is unique as it requires a great deal of experience before receiving the degree in order to secure work afterward,” Jenkins said. “This week gives students a leg up in finding those work opportunities.”

Additional information on MCJ Media Week can be found on the USM website. Those with questions about the events can contact the MCJ Main Office by phone (601.266.4258) or email ([email protected]).