USM to honor retiring dance professor at spring concert

The Department of Dance at The University of Southern Mississippi will honor retiring dance professor Shellie Nielsen at the upcoming Repertory Dance Company’s Spring Concert April 16-19, according to a USM press release. The concert will take place in Mannoni Performing Arts Center and showtimes for April 16-18 are at 7:30 p.m., while 2 p.m. on April 19. Tickets are $15 for general admission, $10 for seniors and military and $6 for students.

Five Department of Dance faculty and junior dance majors will feature their choreography. According to the press release, the final piece of the concert is a reconstruction of Nielsen’s “Variations Without a Theme” that celebrates family, friends and community.

“She has been a consistent source to the department because she has been through all the department and faculty changes,” said Kelley Lester, associate professor of dance, in the press release. “She also has mentored so many students and has guided them all through their art work. Every student (in the department) feels like Professor Nielson is a part of their family.”

Nielsen has been at Southern Miss for 35 years and shared her time, wisdom and expertise with dance students. Her commitment to the dance profession and the university will be recognized during this performance.

For more information about other upcoming events in the College of Arts and Letters, visit http://artsandlettersnow.usm.edu.