Southern Miss Gains Attention at LSU Alumni Gold Meet

The Southern Miss outdoor track and field team won two events and captured a total of 18 top-eight finishes at the LSU Alumni Gold Meet.

Both the men’s and women’s team competed in the meet in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Mariam Kromah, a junior sprinter, finished first in the women’s 400-meter, setting a school record with a time of 53.68 seconds.

LaSpencia Brown, a junior sprinter, recorded two top-eight performances in the meet, finishing third in the women’s 100-meter and sixth in the women’s 200-meter.

Jazmyne Gilliam, a sophomore sprinter, recorded a time of 26.11 seconds, finishing seventh in the event. Adriana Allen, another sophomore, finished sixth
in the 400.

In the 1,500 meter run, sophomore distance runner Kristin Zarrella ran her personal best, finishing the event in 4 minutes, 36.4 seconds. Then, sophomore Dana Dillistone ran the event in 4 minutes, 44.47, finishing seventh followed by freshman Alondra Hoyos finishing eighth in 4 minutes, 51.

Redshirt senior thrower Rachel Polk and junior thrower Kayla Taylor dominated the field events. Polk recorded her season-best in the discus, throwing 169-feet, 9-inches while Taylor threw 164 feet 9-inches as a personal-best performance.

From the men’s team, junior sprinter Robert Wells topped the list for the men’s 200-meter, completing the event in 21.36 seconds, followed by junior Derrick Johnson finishing third in 21.47 and Elbert Rogers finishing eighth in 21.78.

Johnson also finished with a personal-best performance and second place in the men’s 100-meter in 10.45 seconds.

In the 400-meter-hurdles, sophomore Kahlil Frazier finished fourth in the event with a time of 53.94 seconds.

Senior Courtland Wells and junior Jamar Sims competed in the jump events. Wells recorded a second-place finish in the high jump, recording a jump of 6 feet, one-fourth inches followed by Sims posting a jump of 22 feet, 9 inches in the long jump, finishing fifth in the event.

The two teams will return to action on Friday and Saturday at the Southern Miss Invitational.