Fraternity Wins Court of Honor Award

One of the many organizations winning annual awards as the semester draws to a close is the Zeta Chi Chapter of national fraternity Delta Tau Delta.

This year, the chapter won recognition at national level as they were named as one of the winners of the prestigious Court of Honor Award for Chapter Excellence during the 2015 Delta Tau Delta Southern Division Conference in Louisville, Kentucky.

The Southern Division conference is an annual conference that is dedicated to the betterment and education not only of the attendees as fraternity members at the local and national level, but also as individuals focused on academic and extracurricular success and gaining valuable leadership experience.

The Court of Honor is awarded annually to each of the top 20 chapters of Delta Tau Delta in the nation. The top 20 chapters, out of the 140 chapters of Delta Tau Delta nationally, are determined by the Delta Tau Delta Fraternity Accreditation and Awards Report and judged according to a set of criteria including philanthropy, recruitment and community service.

I’m proud to be associated with a group of young men that are recognized in such a high regard for their service to our campus and community,” said Jack Dyer, a freshman history major and a member of Delta Tau Delta.

Founded in 1858 in Bethany, Virginia, at the college of the same name, Delta Tau Delta has come along way since the Civil War. Since starting out as a single chapter at a small school 157 years ago, Delta Tau Delta has grown into a truly national organization, encompassing over 140 student chapters across the United States.

The Zeta Chi Chapter of Delta Tau Delta was founded at The University of Southern Mississippi in 1986 and has had a nearly unparalleled run of success within the national fraternity organization since its inception. This is actually the Zeta Chi Chapter’s 22nd time to be awarded the Court of Honor in the last 29 years.

Members of the fraternity were understandably pleased with this most recent success, as well as their proud history of achievement.

It makes me proud to know that I am a member of one of the most historically successful chapters of Delta Tau Delta,” sophomore business major Cory Schweitzer said.