Power House undergoes improvements in options

This year, Eagle Dining has introduced changes in on campus eating choices that are meant to be more appealing for students at The University of Southern Mississippi.

The Power House, located in the center of campus, has undergone several changes.

The Southern Miss staple has always been popular with the  university’s faculty and staff.

But this year, they wanted to become more in touch with the wants and needs of their target demographic on campus: students.

The Power House’s lunch menu, while still offering favorites like shrimp and chicken platters, will now include a blue plate special for $6.99 and the Eagle Express, an unlimited soup, salad and pizza bar for $5.99.

The blue plate special adds a different daily choice to the lunch menu, and the Eagle Express is a selfserve option that is meant to be more accommodating for the lunchtime rush.

The Power House is now also open for dinner from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The dinner menu features campus favorites like chili cheese fries, buffalo wings and pork nachos for between $6 and $7 dollars. Additionally, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., the restaurant has introduced “Pay What You Punch,” an offer that charges customers based on the exact time that they order their food.

For example, a meal ordered at 4:15 p.m. would cost $4.15. These new options and prices are meant to be more accommodating to students who want to dine on campus while also saving money.

Lauren Brescher, marketing manager for Eagle Dining, said the changes in dining options on campus are intended to be more appealing and student-friendly.

“Since I have been on this campus I have realized how iconic the Power House restaurant is to this university, so I am very excited that we are returning to expanded hours in the evening for students to enjoy after class,” Brescher said.“I have received very positive feedback from students and faculty on our ‘Pay What You Punch’ feature that offers students a dinner option withstudent-focused pricing.

On the horizon for the Power House is the return of the courtyard grill at lunchtime in the spring.

More information on the new hours, prices and menu options for on-campus eating is available on Eagle Dining’s website at usm.campusdish.edu.