SMAC to host fashion show

Southern Miss Student Activities Council (SMAC) will have its annual fashion show Sept. 10 at 7 p.m. in the Thad Cochran Ballrooms.

The fashion show, one of SMAC’s major traditional events, has shown a large increase in popularity in recent years. This year, SMAC reached out to local stores in the Hattiesburg community in an attempt to increase community business as well as gain attendance for the event.

“Our goal for this event is to educate students on their many shopping options in our area and to give back to our local establishments by providing this promotional opportunity,” SMAC president Jessica Thompson said.

The fashion show will showcase styles of attire for class, work, dates and parties. Exhibits of clothes will be featured from six participating stores, including Men’s Warehouse and Fetiche Shoe Boutique. A dance performance by High Def will open the show. Former Mr. USM Wilton Jackson and SGA election commissioner Phoenix Pope will host the show.

“I am thrilled to be hosting such a fun SMAC event. I think students will enjoy seeing all of the latest fashion trends, and I also think attending the fashion show is a great way to meet new people and learn more about what SMAC does for students all year long. Some of my favorite Southern Miss memories are from SMAC events.” – Pope

Students will receive coupons from all the participating stores along with treat bags, and there will also be opportunities to win door prizes at the event. Last year, SMAC brought dance groups Rhythm Rush and High Def to the show, which ended with a dance after-party. This year, SMAC will surprise students who attend, and SMAC hopes to provide men and women with feelings of empowerment and self-confidence.