Southern Miss falls to conference rival

Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports
Freshman quarterback Nick Mullens makes a throw while offensive linesman Fredrick Moore blocks Louisiana Tech Bulldogs’ defensive tackle Shakeil Lucas during the second half at Joe Aillet Stadium. Chuck Cook/Printz
Freshman quarterback Nick Mullens makes a throw while offensive linesman Fredrick Moore blocks Louisiana Tech Bulldogs’ defensive tackle Shakeil Lucas during the second half at Joe Aillet Stadium.
Chuck Cook/Printz

Southern Miss fell to 0-9 and extended its losing streak to 21 games this weekend when they traveled to Ruston, La. to face Lousisana Tech.

Southern Miss has won three-straight games in seven of the last eight meetings between the two schools, but the last three games have been decided by three points or less.

The Eagles continued to struggle early in the game settling for a field goal from 22 and 50 yards out in the first half. They have been outscored 106-10 in the first quarter.

When asked about starting the game off poorly head coach Todd Monken said, “It is frustrating at times because [we] see things that are signs of being a good football team, but we cannot get out of our own way with dropped balls, fumbles, running plays not the way they were designed. We find a way to do things that we do not normally do. You are never going to win that way. We played good enough early to give us a chance to win this game, but we did not take advantage of what was given to us.”

Southern Miss continued to struggle to get their running game going as they are the only team in FBS with less than two rushing touchdowns. George Payne was the leading rusher for the game with only 26 yards (25 coming on one run) and a 3.7 yards per carry average. Southern Miss finished with 59 yards rushing on the.

Nick Mullens completed 25 of 51 passes for 298 (5.7 yards per pass) with three interceptions in his third start as the Golden Eagles quarterback. Southern Miss has at least one turnover in 37 straight games, while the Golden Eagle defense has forced at least one turnover in every game this season.

Tech got on the score board first with a safety in the first quarter. La Tech defense kept our offense quite only giving up one touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Scotty Young La Tech’s gun slinger completed 22 of 37 passes for 158 yards and two touchdowns, but the star of the night was La Tech’s sophomore running back Kenneth Dixon who took over the game and at times looked like no one on the field could bring him down.

Dixon ran for 207 yards and a touchdown on 25 carries to lead Louisiana Tech to a 36-13 victory over Southern Miss Saturday night. “There is no doubt that our team does not quit and it is hard to say that when we are the result of business and I get it. We need to play better and win more games and find out how to match our effort with success,” Said coach Monken. Southern Miss has a chance to get on track and get things going as they are back home at The Rock facing Florida Atlantic on 11/16.