Games to watch in the 2017 season

Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports
Sep 10, 2016; Hattiesburg, MS, USA; Southern Miss Golden Eagles defensive secondary coach Dan Disch talks to defensive back Curtis Mikell (19) in the second quarter of their game against the Savannah State Tigers at M.M. Roberts Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports

After a rollercoaster year last season, with injuries and turnover issues, there are two games on the schedule this season that the Golden Eagles must win to earn a bowl bid or a possible division title.

The first of the two is a road contest on October 7th against UTSA. Last year, Southern Miss was a heavy favorite going into their game against the Roadrunners, and ended up losing 55-32 in San Antonio. This will be a tough road test again for the Golden Eagles, as Head Coach Frank Wilson of UTSA will look to improve his team’s 6-7 record of last season. To set the pace for the rest of the season, Southern Miss must learn from their mistakes and find a way to come out with the victory on the road.

The second game that will define this season is the November 18th home finally against Charlotte. The 49ers came into the Rock last season as underdogs and ran for over 300 yards, as well as forcing three turnovers, helping them to what seemed like an easy win.

Injuries to both the starting and backup quarterbacks for the Golden Eagles also played a factor in the loss. If Southern Miss can stay healthy and take care of the ball this time around, then they should earn the win on Senior Day.

These two wins could also play a huge part in earning a trip back to the Conference USA title. If the Golden Eagles can earn these two victories, and become bowl eligible long before the season finale, then they might be in store for a nine-win season.