Tez Parks looks to make an impact in upcoming season

Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports
Credit:USA TODAY Sports

Losing a veteran leader like George Payne will not be easy for a growing Golden Eagle football team to recover from. Luckily for the young squad, Tez Parks could very well be the answer to the Golden Eagles’ injury problem at running back.

While Payne offers more experience and was Southern Miss’ second leading rusher behind Ito Smith, Parks is an exciting option to fill Payne’s spot in the back- field. The potential one-two combination of Smith and Parks could create headaches for opposing defenses, as both offensive backs are downhill runners, and will be rushing behind an improving offensive line.

Parks battled with injury in the last two seasons but his glimpses on the field have been productive. Last season Parks only rushed for 155 yards, but this year you can see a change in his yardage number if he stays healthy. With Smith more than likely getting most of the touches, Parks will be utilized as a third down back or a flex receiver. This is not a knock to Parks athleticism, as he is more than capable to break away and create with his elusiveness.

Smith and Parks look to be an entertaining duo this season and will bring much to the Golden Eagles’ offense. With the talented running back core Southern Miss has this year, big plays from either Smith or Parks should become normal as the season progresses.