Delta Sigma Theta flies through the decades

Sarah Grace Meyn
The fashion show featured many stylish and daring looks.

In honor of Delta Week, the Mighty Mu Nu Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated and Fly Art recently partnered to host a fashion show focusing on stylistic trends from the decades of past, present, and future.

Held in the Thad Cochran Center Ballroom, the event attracted members of both organizations and included a music intermission and a special performance by Khaotic Movement.

Kaleigh Nathaniel, the vice president of the Mighty Mu Nu Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated, stated the show was to get students more motivated and embrace their fashion ability.

“Getting the students to see some of the outfits and styles from other decades as well, past, present, and the future,” Nathaniel said. “So I think that was really cool. And I hope that we can do more in the future to help students embrace a part of this show.”

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated’s theme was rooted in trending pop culture, which gave the group an advantage when showcasing its theme for the week.

Nathaniel relayed the possible impact the event can have on communities and organizations that focus on clothing trends.

“After this event, people are going to start to kind of venture out more with their clothing even if it’s something like shoes and a shirt,” she said. “ Anything that you know adds a little pop to it, what they saw tonight, what they probably would not have done otherwise; but when you see it on somebody else, and it’s like, okay I can do that.”

Winter Love, a member and programming manager of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated, served as a model during the fashion show and expressed her enjoyment of being part of the event.

“I like it,” she said. “It was really different for me because I usually like to be behind the scenes when it comes to being put on the spot.But yeah, it was really different for me. It was a different feeling for sure.”

The Mighty Mu Nu Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated even had vendors before the show started for students to purchase and promote the vendor’s business.

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated is an organization of college educated women committed to the constructive development of its members and to public service with a primary focus on the Black community.

For more information on The Mighty Mu Nu Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated events, go to their Instagram page @munu1975. And be on the lookout for another fashion show hosted by Fly Art, whose Instagram page is @usmflyart which features boarding pass of flying through the seasons of fashion.