Southern Miss celebrates Eagle Fest

Cash+Money%2C+USM%E2%80%99s+resident+therapy+dog%2C+made+his+grand+entrance+at+Going+Gold+Day%2C+greeting+the+community+and+providing+smiles.++
Sarah Grace Meyn
Cash Money, USM’s resident therapy dog, made his grand entrance at Going Gold Day, greeting the community and providing smiles.

The Southern Miss Hattiesburg campus recently hosted Eagle Fest, its annual celebration that brings together students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the broader community in a spirited showcase of school pride, unity, diversity, and fellowship to make memories and celebrate what makes USM special. Whether you’re a current student, a proud alum, or was simply looking for a fun-filled day of entertainment, Eagle Fest offered something for everyone to enjoy.

Held each spring, the event serves as a culmination of the academic year and an opportunity to unwind before final exams. Eagle Fest is more than just a typical campus event. It’s a tradition deeply rooted in the university’s culture. Organized by a dedicated team of students and staff, it featured an array of activities and attractions designed to appeal to a wide range of interests. For future Golden Eagles, the day was also a chance for them to learn more about the multiple ways they can get involved, make new friends, and enrich their college experiences.

“This was a day for admitted students to come and look at all that USM has to offer and see what kind of wonderful community scholars we have,” said Ashley Burnside, director of the Center of Student Success.

This year’s festivities kicked off with Going Gold Day, where prospective students gathered to register for classes and learn more about the University. The day was filled with excitement and anticipation as the USM community welcomed the future Golden Eagles to campus and celebrated the University’s anniversary.

The event also set the stage for an upcoming year of growth, learning, and unforgettable experiences at Southern Miss, with student organizations playing a vital role. From academic clubs to cultural societies, the groups set up their tents and displays to showcase their offering and connect with potential new members.

For those with a taste for adventure, Eagle Fest also had a range of outdoor activities and recreational opportunities. From sack-throwing and line dancing to photobooth opportunities, there was no shortage of excitement for thrill-seekers. And the activities provided a fun and interactive way for attendees to engage with their surroundings and the campus ambiance.

Of course, no event would be complete without delicious food and refreshing beverages. And Eagle Fest boasted a diverse selection of cookies, brownies and drinks offerings, ensuring that everyone stayed energized and hydrated throughout the festivities.

In addition to food, entertainment, and activities, Eagle Fest served as a platform for showcasing the University’s achievements and initiatives. Information tabling and interactive displays highlighted academic programs and campus organizations, giving attendees a glimpse into the creative work happening on campus.