Golden Eagles lose to Nebraska

Bruce Thorson-USA TODAY Sports
Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles quarterback Allan Bridgford (16) warms up prior to the game against the Nebraska Cornhuskers at Memorial Stadium. Bruce Thorson/US Presswire
Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles quarterback Allan Bridgford (16) warms up prior to the game against the Nebraska Cornhuskers at Memorial Stadium.
Bruce Thorson/US Presswire

Once Allan Bridgford released his second pass attempt of the game, it was over.

Nebraska dominated the Southern Miss Golden Eagles in every aspect of the game en route to a 56-13 victory.

USM got off to a rocky start with two pick six’s in the first quarter. Nebraska’s cornerback, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, returned the first interception for a 43-yard touchdown.

For the Golden Eagles, all six points in the first half were put on the board by kicker, Corey Acosta, a 32-yard field goal followed by a 45-yard field goal. USM trailed at halftime 35-6.

In the third quarter, Bridgford found Rickey Bradley for a 41-yard touchdown. Bradley’s touchdown was the first and only one for USM.  Bridgford completed 21 of 35 pass attempts for 222 yards against the Huskers, but threw three interceptions.

Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles head coach Todd Monken talks to an official during the game against the Nebraska Cornhuskers during the second quarter at Memorial Stadium. Bruce Thorson/US Presswire
Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles head coach Todd Monken talks to an official during the game against the Nebraska Cornhuskers during the second quarter at Memorial Stadium.
Bruce Thorson/US Presswire

Nick Mullens came in the game late for Bridgford, but missed on both of his pass attempts, which included an interception. To USM’s dismay, they just couldn’t overcome the four interceptions or establish a running game.

USM’s defense did not play as well as they had hoped either. Nebraska quarterback threw for 170 yards and three touchdowns.  Running back Ameer Abdullah totaled 114 yards on the ground and found the end zone twice.

Southern Miss will look to get back on track Saturday when they travel to Fayetteville, Ark. to take on the Arkansas Razorbacks.  Arkansas is 2-0 and coming off a 34-14 victory over UL-Lafayette.