Former coach Tyndall to meet with NCAA Tuesday

The Tennessean reported Thursday that former Southern Miss basketball head coach Donnie Tyndall will meet with the NCAA representatives Tuesday. The meeting follows the NCAA investigation that was reported Thursday, Nov. 6. According to Bleacher Report, the investigation is looking at alleged violations that were made under Tyndall’s tenure that concluded in spring 2014.

The violations involve Southern Miss players who may have received improper financial benefits, such as tuition while they were not on scholarship, Bleacher Report reported. These players were “Prop 48” recruits, which are students under the NCAA rule that specifies minimum high school grades and standardized test scores that student-athletes must meet to participate in college athletic programs.

According to Bleacher Report, a source close to the program explained that the NCAA’s investigation “centers on how tuition, living expenses and other fees were paid for ‘Prop 48’ recruits who signed with the Golden Eagles, but were academically ineligible out of high school or junior college.”

Tyndall now serves as the head basketball coach at the University of Tennessee.