Late Field Goal Beats USM

The Southern Miss football team looked like they were going to fly back to Hattiesburg celebrating a victory, until UTSA kicker, Sean Lanno, connected with a field goal from 38 yards out with seven seconds left on the clock to give UTSA the 10-12 victory. Lanno finished 4-4 for the night, scoring all of UTSA’s points In the Thursday night match up.

With Nick Mullens in the starting line up, for the first time since the Middle Tennessee game, the Southern Miss offensive started the game smooth. Mullens’ right foot did not seem to bother him as he completed three of his first seven passes on the first drive. The first drive was the only good offensive drive for the Golden Eagles in the first half, and it ended with an Ito Smith fumble on UTSA’s 11 yard line.

Dasman McCullum picked off a pass to give Southern Miss the ball right back and on USM’s next possession Mullens threw an interception trying to get the ball down field to Marquse Triplett. The remaining drives of the first half ended with punts. Following a scoreless first quarter UTSA was able to get on the board first with a 41 yard field goal, Lannon later connected on a 28 yard field goal with one minute left in the first half to give UTSA a 6-0 halftime lead.

UTSA received the ball to begin the second half and drove the ball into the red zone, but the Golden Eagles defense kept the Roadrunners out of the end zone and Lannon was called on the field for a 35 yard field goal. You guessed it, the kick was good and UTSA was up 9-0. the field goal was the only points scored in the third quarter.

Southern Miss finally put points on the board with their first drive of the fourth quarter. Corey Acosta put the ball right down the middle of the uprights from 36 yards out making it a 3-9 with 14:42 to play. Southern Miss’ defense kept the Golden Eagles in this game late forcing two straight three and outs. following the second three and out, Mullens completed all but one pass on a five play, 87 yard drive that took a total of 1:21. the drive ended with the only touchdown of the night when Mullens found Triplett streaking for a 22 yard touchdown.

The touchdown put Todd Monkens’ team up 10-9 with 7:35 left in the fourth quarter. The game came down to the Roadrunner’s offense against the Golden Eagles’ defense. On UTSA’s final drive, USM committed two penalties that kept the drive alive and set up Lannon up for a 38 yard game winning field goal with seven seconds left. On the ensuing kick off Duke Wheeler fumbled and UTSA recovered to get their third win of the season.

Mullens finished the game with 257 yards, one touchdown and one interception. Freshman Ito Smith led the Southern Miss back field with 14 carries for 40 yards. Michael Thomas led all receivers with five catches for 80 yards. Triplett finished with four catches,  68 yards and a touchdown. Southern Miss falls to (3-8) after the loss and finish the season off at home against UAB November 29 at 2:30 p.m.