Student Gifts Others with Mississippi-in-a-Box

Matt Hamil, a junior marketing major, sits by his creation, Mississippi in a Box. He wants people who have moved out of state to enjoy the items that he calls “a true sense of Mississippi.” Inside the box, one can find Wheeler’s praline pecans, Mississippi Cheese Straw Factory’s Mudpuppies, Magnolia Munchies, Lazy Magnolia bottle openers and Southern Kernel’s Hub City Mix. Kara Davidson/Printz
Matt Hamil, a junior marketing major, sits by his creation, Mississippi in a Box. He wants people who have moved out of state to enjoy the items that he calls “a true sense of Mississippi.” Inside the box, one can find Wheeler’s praline pecans, Mississippi Cheese Straw Factory’s Mudpuppies, Magnolia Munchies, Lazy Magnolia bottle openers and Southern Kernel’s Hub City Mix.
Kara Davidson/Printz

Southern Miss is filled with students from around the country. From Georgia to California, it is safe to say the university has a fair share of students from nearly every state.

It is presumed that we all bring a piece of our home state with us. As students leave Southern Miss, they will carry a great appreciation of Mississippi in their hearts. However, how can one take a tangible aspect of the southern culture with them whether they chose to leave or become residents?

Matt Hamil, a junior marketing major, grants a solution with his creation: Mississippi-in-a-box.

The Mississippi-in-a-box is for those who love Mississippi,” Hamil said. “It’s for the people who moved out of the state, and for those who still live here and appreciate all of the small things that make our state unique.”

Mississippi-in-a-box is a package that contains all items Hamil felt were iconic to the state. For now, the package is made up of five items made in Mississippi: Wheeler’s praline pecans, Mississippi Cheese Straw Factory’s Mudpuppies, Magnolia Munchies, Lazy Magnolia bottle openers and Southern Kernel’s Hub City Mix.

Hamil also offers customers the option to write a custom note to the recipient of the box.

In the future, more items will be added to the list that represents a true sense of “Mississippi.” 

Customers will also be able to customize the box to their liking as they send it to a loved one.

Hamil revealed he thought of the idea after constantly hearing people say, “Man I wish had this or that,” after they moved out of the state.

I wanted to do something that captured Mississippi culture and made it accessible to anyone—no matter where they are,” Hamil said.

The success of Mississippi-in-a-box has greatly exceeded Hamil’s expectations as it has already been shipped to not only other states such as Indiana, California and Pennsylvania but also to Tokyo, Japan. It has also been featured on WDAM.

Each box is $35 with free shipping within the U.S. and includes a free “Made by Mississippi” sticker and a handwritten note.

A 10 percent pledge of monthly profits is donated to Extra Table, a local non-profit organization dedicated to ending hunger.

For more information, visit www.mississippiinabox.com.