Pitching, offense sends Lady Lions back to den

Southern Miss’ offense provided 14 hits in a convincing win over Southeastern Louisiana on March 8, capturing the contest, 8-2.

The Lady Lions came into the matchup ranked sixth nationally in stolen bases with 54. In the first inning, the Lady Lions speed would prove to be difficult to contain as Katie Lacour stole two bases followed by Kinsey Nichols stealing another.

Southeastern’s speed would not be enough to produce any points as Southern Miss’ defense prevented any stolen bases from converting into any points through the first five innings.

Samantha Robles got the Golden Eagles out of the first inning only allowing two hits and four hits in total for the game. She threw 97 pitches, racked in five strikeouts and only allowed three extra- base hits as she improved her pitching record to 8-4.

The Golden Eagles not only managed to hold the Lady Lions to only three stolen bases, but the Golden Eagles also managed to record 14 hits, recording a hit in six out of the seven innings.

The Golden Eagles performance in the third inning led to three hits and two scores putting the Golden Eagles up in the contest, 3-0, forcing Southeastern to make an early pitcher change as Kasey Nielson entered the game for the Lady Lions in the third inning.

The Golden Eagles batting performance would continue in the fifth inning as they racked up five hits and four points in this inning alone. Bailey Stokes started the rally for Southern Miss as she singled to left field.

Stokes hit was the ninth of the night and yet again forced the Lady Lions to go deep into their pitching core. Peyton Pigniolo entered the game for Southeastern. After a walk and error by Southeastern, but
the Golden Eagles managed to score another three points and put the game out of reach as they raised the lead, 7-0.

“We have really been focusing on hitting,” said coach Wendy Hogue. “We have been leaving a lot of runners on base but getting those extra base hits are what we were looking for.”

Southern Miss took the contest 8-2 and looks to carry the momentum March 12 as they face Middle Tennessee.